LATEST POSTS

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Warming pumpkin soup

One of the only things that makes the chilly winter season bearable is tasty warming soups - basically a hug in a bowl!

I’m often lazy and buy pre-made soups, but one frosty lunchtime I decided to make one from scratch. I read a Jamie Oliver butternut squash recipe online (click here) and as I couldn’t find butternut squash in my local shop, I swapped it for pumpkin. His official ingredients list is at the bottom of the post, but I tweaked it slightly - I skipped the parmesan croutons and sage leaves but threw in some oregano and coriander instead.

It’s so simple!

First I cooked up the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, rosemary, chilli, oregano and seasoning.


Once they were soft, I added the chopped up pumpkin (skin and all!). Plus the chicken stock.


Then leave for about 30 mins gently bubbling.

After half an hour all my veggies were smelling delicious and soft.  So I just hand-blended to create a smooth thick soup, leaving some ‘chunks’ as I like a little bit of interest in my soups.

Then it was time to dish up into my gorgeous Le Creuset heritage soup bowls. Available from their website here.


Plus a little ‘decoration’


Delicious!


Ingredients
• olive oil
• 16 fresh sage leaves
• 2 red onions , peeled and chopped
• 2 sticks celery , trimmed and chopped
• 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
• 4 cloves garlic , peeled and chopped
• 2 sprigs fresh rosemary , leaves picked
• ½ - 1 fresh red chilli , to taste, deseeded and finely chopped
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 2 kg butternut squash, onion squash or musque de Provence , halved, deseeded and cut into chunks
• 2 litres organic chicken or vegetable stock
• extra virgin olive oil


Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Eat - Explore - Enjoy. Designed by OddThemes