LATEST POSTS

Saturday 29 March 2014

A sunny Saturday in Munich

A few weeks ago, we finally had some sunshine at the weekend in Munich, so I went out exploring. Firstly I came across an Augustiner brewery display in the main shopping street…
 There was a big football game taking place, so typically a number of fans wear dirndls and lederhosen (with football shirts) as supporters.
Lots of strawberries and white asparagus were available for sale in the markets.
For lunch I headed to the Spatenhaus - one of Munich’s best known beer restaurants. I managed to get an outside seat overlooking the opera house of Max-Joseph Platz. There is a more formal inside restaurant with high ceilings and chandeliers.

Spatenhaus serves traditional (and generous sized) Bavarian food and is frequented by locals before and after performances across the square, as well as throughout the day.


There is a lovely relaxed atmosphere (I think sunshine always helps!) and a random man and his dog joined me at my table as I sipped on my cappuccino.

Indulgently, I ordered the curry sausage and chips (apparently they have their own special curry sauce!) which I tucked into.



 After sitting and soaking up some of the sunshine, I then was in the mood for something sweet. So I headed to “Balla Beni” ice cream shop. 
This place is regarded as serving the best Italian ice cream in all of Munich so there is normally a queue to get served (approx 30-40 minutes). However, I think I was lucky as there were only a few people in front of me.
I excitedly looked through all their adventurous flavours…

I settled on a scoop of the lemon and basil sorbet and a scoop of hazelnut ice cream whilst they added a chocolate and ginger sample to my pot!


I headed round the corner to the gardens in front of the Pinakothek (art galleries) to savour my delicious treat.


And it lived up to it’s reputation - the ice cream was heavenly and the sorbet a refreshing partner-in-crime! I definitely recommend a visit.



Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Eat - Explore - Enjoy. Designed by OddThemes