LATEST POSTS

Saturday 2 November 2013

How much can one girl eat in a day?!

Day 23: 2013 Autumn Travels [Washington D.C., USA]

So today was my last day of my trip and I was determined to make the most of it.  I was incredibly excited to find a bagel cutter in my hostel – how have I never seen this amazing invention before?!  To celebrate this I made myself a PB&J bagel for breakfast, starting the day exactly how it would continue!


Then I walked along Massachusetts Avenue to Dupont Circle where all the embassies are.  I tapped my foot onto a number of grounds so technically I visited tens of countries in one morning!


There were lots of impressive mansion buildings and also lots of homes with Halloween decorations.

I found another ‘lou lou’ store and pondered their philosophical quotations.

Then I headed to the highly recommended ‘Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe for brunch (yes I know I had breakfast, but when in America...eat!)  It’s quirky bookstore with an attached cafe. 

 I sat outside in the sunshine and had the ‘berry berry berry pancakes’ which came with sausage, eggs and potatoes too!  All covered in a warmed maple syrup – yum!

Then I visited ‘Beadazzleda crafty jewellery  store where I bought some necklace charms (not the donut one, though I was tempted!)


Then I spotted a hot Krispy Kreme donut place – I actually saw the donut icing machine in action which was oddly transfixing.  As it had been a good couple of hours since my last feeding, I treated myself to a pumpkin cheesecake donut.  Which is just as disgustingly indulgent as it sounds!


My final walking stretch took me to the outer Capitol Hill area to 'Dangerously Delicious Pies', DC's greatest pie shop offering a wide variety of both sweet and savoury treats.  It was a chilled retro-style cafe/shop and I let the assistant recommend a pie for me.  I ended up with the hot French Toast pie with whipped cream which I happily accepted! 


I eased my guilt at countless dessert-meals by powerwalking back to the hostel to grab my bag before making the endless trip to Dulles Airport, including buses and trains...one person clearly found it too much!
On arrival, the charming Virgin Atlantic check-in staff upgraded me to an extra legroom and window seat without me even having to ask...the perfect end to an amazing holiday!


Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Eat - Explore - Enjoy. Designed by OddThemes