LATEST POSTS

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Foodie review – Uruguay

Uruguay re-cap: 2013 Autumn Travels

To be honest, I didn’t really know much about Uruguay until I went, but it has a fairly relaxed feel, with some tranquil countryside and friendly people.

As always, I’d armed myself with my ‘Essential Food & Drink’ list from the Lonely Planet of which I managed to complete the majority, including:

·         Asado – Uruguay’s food obsession: mixed grill cooked over a wood fire, featuring various cuts of beef, pork, chorizo, morcillo (blood sausage) etc

·         Chivito – a ‘cholesterol bomb’ of a steak sandwich piled high with bacon, ham, egg, cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, pickles, peppers and mayonnaise

·         Chajá – a ‘terrifyingly sweet concoction’ of cake featuring sponge, meringue, cream and fruit

·         Medio y medio – a refreshing blend of half wine and half sparkling wine

·         Grappa con miel – strong Italian style grappa (grape brandy) sweetened and mellowed with honey

Whilst there are a number of cities and coasts in Uruguay, I will always associate it with the countryside and particularly the farm ‘estancia’ stay.

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Eat - Explore - Enjoy. Designed by OddThemes